Texas Counties Deliver


Adrian Lawson 

County Clerk

103 W. Trinity Street, Suite 104
Madisonville, Texas 77864
Phone: 936-241-6210
Fax: 936-241-6211



Monday - Friday 

8:00am - 12:30pm

1:30pm - 4:30pm

Closed on all County Holidays 

2023 Madison County Holidays.pdf

2024 Madison County Holidays


We stop issuing Marriage License 30 minutes prior to lunch and closing.


Recording in OPR ends at 3:30 p.m.


  • Filing Documents

    The document needs to be already prepared, signed, and notarized when you get here. We will only accept original or certified copies of documents. We cannot accept copies. We stop recording Official Public Records at 3:30 p.m. each business day. 

    If you mail in the documents you will need to provide a self-addressed stamped envelope, so that we can return your document after recording. 

    For fees, please see Fee Schedule. 

    Online Search 

    Texas Lands Records

    View property records indexes and images from March 23, 1838, to current.

    Should you need support, call 1-800-782-5652.



    The fee for an Assumed Name Certificate to be filed and recorded is $25.00. There is an additional $0.50 for each additional signature on the Assumed Name Certificate. The same fees apply for Abandonment of Assumed Name Certificate

    • Assumed Names (DBA) are valid for a period not to exceed 10 years.
    • They are normally registered within the same county in which your business is located. However, you can register your business in as many counties as you would like.
    • The County Clerk's Office has no requirement on the number of signatures on the certificate. However, recommends that you ask your bank and/or CPA to determine how to file your DBA.
    • The County Clerk's Office will not research the availability of a business name and does not verify that a duplicate filing has occurred. It is your responsibility to check the Assumed Name Indexes, located in the County Clerk's Research Area or search online at the link provided below.

     The Assumed Name Certificate must be signed in front of a Notary Public. You will need to use a Notary Public of your choice. AFTER, signatures have been notarized, then your application can be processed for recording. The County Clerk's office DOES NOT Notarize documents.

     A State Tax ID Number is obtained thru the State Comptroller's OfficePhone: 800-252-5555


    Branding is a long lived tradition here in Texas. Since the 1800s, Texas ranchers have used Brands to identify their livestock and help prevent cattle theft. While there is no law requiring you to Brand your livestock, it is against the law to use a Brand that isn't registered. Since 1981, if you do Brand your livestock, Title 6, Chapter 144 requires by law a Brand or a Mark to be re-registered with the County Clerk's office every ten years.

    Marks, brands and tattoos must be registered with the County Clerk in the County in which the animal(s) reside. Once registered, all marks, brands and tattoos must be renewed every 10 years.

    The next 10 year registration period begins September 1, 2021 to August 31, 2031.

    Owners of currently registered marks, brands and tattoos must re-register with the County Clerk between September 1, 2021 and February 28, 2022 regardless of the date of the last registration. A person, who does not re-register their brand during this 6 month period, forfeits their legal right to that brand.

    Brand applications and renewals can be filed with the Madison County Clerk's Office.


    The fee for a Birth Certificate is $23.00. The fee for a Death Certificate is $21.00 and $ 4.00 for each additional. (No checks accepted.)

    Birth Records are confidential for 75 years. Death Records are confidential for 25 years. Health and Safety Code, Chapter 678, Sec. 195.003.  At this time vital records are not available online. You may come into the office and search the Indexes for records that are open to the public to view.

    An applicant must provide all necessary information and show proper identification prior to obtaining the certificate.  Only a qualified applicant may obtain a copy of a birth or death certificate.

    • Our office has death certificates for those that occur in Madison County only.
    • Any Texas birth certificate may be purchased in Madison County.

    This office uses a remote access system to the State's records for dating, at this time, from 1926 to the present.

    Certificate by Mail:
    To obtain a birth or death certificate by mail:

    • complete the application
    • complete the notarized proof of identification
    • make a legible copy of the applicant's valid driver's license or other valid identification
    • include a cashier’s check or money order payable to Madison County Clerk.
    • Please provide a self addressed, stamped envelope address and day telephone number (if available).

    Qualified Applicant:
    • The parent, child, brother, sister, spouse, grandparent, legal guardian or managing conservator.

    Qualified Applicant/Proper Identification Requirements


    The fee for a Certified Copy of a Marriage License is $8.00 per copy. 

    Marriage License

    The fee for the marriage license is $82.00 cash or credit card. (No checks accepted.)

    No appointment needed.

    We stop issuing marriage license 30 minutes prior to lunch and closing.

    Marriage License Waiting Period: There is a required 72-hour waiting period between the time a marriage license is obtained and the ceremony. The marriage ceremony may not take place during the 72-hour period immediately following the issuance of the marriage license unless an applicant: see Texas Family Code, Chapter 2, Section 2.204.

    License Expiration: A marriage license is valid for 89 days from the date it is issued. A marriage license expires if it has not been used before the 90th day after it was issued. If a couple wishes to marry after the expiration date, a new license must be purchased.

    You must be 18 or older to obtain a Marriage License

    The Applicants must bring the following to the Madison County Clerk's Office: 

    Proof of identity may include an official copy of the applicant's birth certificate, a driver's license or state-issued identification card, or an approved document issued by Texas or another state, the United States, or a foreign government (i.e., passport, visa, military identification, etc.). Provide Social Security Number of each applicant (if the applicant has one). Applicants do not need to show a Social Security Card.

    If divorced, and the divorce was finalized in Texas within the previous 30 days, an applicant must provide a certified copy of the divorce decree which states that the 30-day waiting period has been waived. This does not apply to out-of-state divorcees. If a previously-divorced applicant wishes to use her maiden name, she will need to provide identification showing that maiden name (such as a certified copy of her birth certificate or a certified copy of her divorce decree that states her name is to be changed).

    Note: The Texas Twogether Program:  Allows applicants to waive a portion of the marriage license fee if they complete a premarital education course and provide a certificate that the course was completed not more than one year before the date of the marriage license.

    Twogether in Texas

    Following the ceremony, the person authorized to conduct the service must date, sign, and note the county where the ceremony occurred on the certificate. The marriage license must then be returned (You are advised to overnight or mail with a tracking number with an enclosed return envelope) to the Madison County Clerk's Office within 30 days from the ceremony date.  Once the office receives the license, it will be copied and filed and the original will be returned to you.

    Persons Authorized to Conduct Marriage Ceremonies: In Texas, the following persons are authorized to conduct marriage ceremonies: A person who is an officer of a religious organization and who is authorized by the organization to conduct a marriage ceremony, or a Justice of the supreme court, judge of the court of criminal appeals, justice of the courts of appeals, judge of the district, county, and probate courts, judge of the county courts at law, judge of the courts of domestic relations, judge of the juvenile courts, retired justice or judge of those courts, justice of the peace, retired justice of the peace, judge of a municipal court, retired judge of a municipal court, or judge or magistrate of a federal court of this state, or retired judge or magistrate of a federal court of this state. A person meeting the above requirements does not need to apply for permission to marry couples and does not need to register with the County Clerk.

  • The Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission requires alcoholic beverage manufacturers, distributors, retailers, etc. to apply for licenses and permits before they may operate in the State of Texas. The TABC currently provides some information regarding licenses/permits to the public in various formats such as 8 1/2" X 11" printouts, compact discs, and files sent via e-mail for a fee. This information is updated on their web site on a weekly basis and is available through the internet for free.

    After first being approved by the City Secretary, the County Clerk's office reviews new alcoholic beverage applications by verifying wet/dry status and license type for the location indicated on the application. This decision is based upon the results of local-option elections.

    The Alcoholic Beverage Code and Rules, as well as forms, are available online through the TABC website at:





    By filing the military discharge form, a permanent record is maintained for future proof of service for veterans' benefits. The original is returned to the owner after recording. As of September 1, 2003, military records are confidential. Only a qualified applicant may secure this information.

    Recording of your DD214 Discharge Record 

    It is highly recommended that you put on file with the local County Clerks' office your DD214 when you separate from the Military. Later you will often be asked to provide a certified copy of this form and you will always be able to get that from our office.

    Texas Local Government Code, Section 192.002 authorizes the County Clerk to file the military discharge at no cost. The County Clerk shall record the official members of the United States armed forces, the United States armed forces, the United States armed forces reserve, or armed forces auxiliary.

    Military Discharge Form.pdf

    The above form is to be filled out when you request a copy.

    We will also need a copy of your current driver's license.

  • Pursuant to Texas Property Code §51.002, the county clerk's involvement in foreclosure proceedings is limited to file-marking and maintaining the Foreclosure Notice of Sale postings.

    The clerk's office does not conduct the foreclosure auction nor has any other involvement in the foreclosure process.

    The sale is conducted by the individual trustees for each property. All questions and inquiries regarding the status of a property or the procedure for the auction should be directed to the assigned substitute trustee.

    Notice of Foreclosure Posting: You can view for free the foreclosure notices on our public notice calendar. This availability is offered as a convenience to the public and is not required by law. 

    All postings are also available for in-person public viewing at the Madison County Clerk's Office.

    Public Notices Calendar


County Clerk's office does not give legal advice. Please seek assistance from an attorney, should you have any questions or need legal guidance. Any information or forms provided on this webpage is not to be considered legal advice or a substitution for legal advice. If you need assistance in finding legal services, please look for Attorneys in your local phone book or follow one of the links below. 


Texas Law Help

Texas Court Help

State Bar of Texas

Texas State Law Library